Friday, April 4, 2008

The Children

"Children," by Charles Reznikoff, actually brought tears to my eyes. This poem has the capability of turning words into reality for me. I have twin brothers and a younger sister who I immediately thought of. Obviously, this poem is about the Holocaust so never could I truly imagine the pain and torture of what such subjects had to go through. But the way it was written, with the detail and heart ache, I could feel it. I could imagine what the children looked like before and after, develop certain pictures of what they had to go through. Not only did this poem open my eyes to every day things so many of us take for granted, but it showed me how powerful experience, brotherhood and detail truly was/is. I'm grateful for having the chance to read this. It's something I've never read before, something I didnt even know existed. Since the first time I read this I've read it four more. Every time it gives me shivers. Children stand for innocence, and for these children--it was taken away.

No comments: