Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Uncle Rachel" by Rane Arroyo

"My Transvestite Uncle Is Missing" touched alot of cords with me. The first half of the poem was interesting; basically about a man who is expressing his feelings towards his transvestite uncle. My friend has a transvestite uncle, she called him uncle Tom. Although he didn't go through the 'change' completely, he wore wigs and makeup like the author of this piece described. The second half, however, was in some ways confusing for me. It was written as one sentence, with no spaces in between unlike the first portion. I'm left with a feeling of uncertainty, however, because I dont know whether or not his uncle really died, or if the man behind the "breasts and European wigs" was the man who died, giving rebirth to the woman inside. Either way, this piece made me think. It reminded me of my friend's Uncle Tom and the transformation she was going through. It reminded me of some of my friends, Chris who now goes by Sasha, Missy who now goes by Mike. Being a lesbian, it was interesting to read about such a situation as this. I read somewhere that many people take Arroyo's work offensively. I disagree. I appreciate him for talking about situations that many people wouldn't find comfortable. Someone has to do it.

Diversity.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I really feel that I can relate to this blog. Obviously, unless there is something I don't know about, I am not a transvestite. However, being that I am gay, I can relate to this. I feel that besides Ellen, Rosie, Elton John, Lance Bass, or the dude from Grey's Anatomy, there really aren't too many people who stick up for gays. Sure, you have Madonna, Cher and some others who stick up for them because these people's success is hugely supported by gays, but who really writes a story/poem/song, etc about gays? No one.

I feel this topic reminds me of the Civil Rights movement- oh wait, it's basically the same thing: people who aren't gay discriminate against ones who are. Whites discriminated against blacks. So unless gays stick up for themselves, they will be just as discriminated against as blacks were.

*Aaron*

Unknown said...

You really can not disagree with their opinion. If people do not like Arroyo's work, it does not mean that their opinion is wrong because they do not like it. You just can't say that their opinion does not make sense, be careful with what you type, bye man. I know this old, therefore you probably have a different perception from who knows how long towards now.