Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Lady Lazarus"

"Lady Lazarus" has always always always been a favorite of mine. Sylvia Plath is one of my favorite poets for many reasons. She's dark, mysterious, and her style is intriguing to me, especially in "Lady Lazarus". I enjoy this poem because I think it has alot to do with the Phoenix, which is some type of mythological bird. The speaker in the poem, who may or may not be Plath, seems to be talking about his/her unsuccessful attempts at suicide. However, these failed attempts aren't looked at as failures, but more so as a rebirth. By the end of the poem it says, "Out of the ash/ I rish with my red hair/ And I eat men like air". Perhaps this means that he/she was finally successful with his/her suicide attempts. "Out of the ash" could mean that after death he/she transformed into the Phoenix, "with my red hair". It's an extremely powerful ending. Yes, it signifies death, but it also signifies a rebirth into something much more powerful than we could imagine. I love the detail, and I love all the different types of interpretations. It makes you think, to say the least.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd be interested in hearing them

No comments: