Friday, April 4, 2008

The Road Not Taken

In "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost, both roads are worn, covered with leaves and grass...something I overlooked when I first had the chance to read this poem. After I read it this time, I realized that the speaker didn't take the road less traveled, for they were both traveled on the same. So as the speaker progresses, he taked the road in which he would like to take, knowing that he will later question his decision. He states, "Oh, I kept the first for another day!/ Yet knowing how way leads on to way,/ I doubted if I should ever come back". I believe here he's saying that the past is the past. Sure, later he'll think about his decision and wonder wether or not it was the right one, as many of us always do, but then he also states that he'll probably never return. He cant change his decision, and he can't change the past. He takes the road he wanted to take, the one he wanted to travel down. His individuality is important because there were no outside influences affecting his overall choice. To fully understand the meaning, us readers just have to remember that this poem is about the road not taken, and not about the road less traveled.

No comments: